Skip to main content

Edgar Allan Poe Texts

I've always loved Edgar Allan Poe. I'm really attached to his work, especially his poetry. Whenever I read his poetry I often think of Vincent van Gogh. I know that can be seen as an odd comparison but both men were so alone and under appreciated in their lifetimes. I actually like to think that when Edgar Allan Poe died he was reincarnated as Vincent van Gogh. The time lines match up and they have such similar souls. I think that if I were to teach this lesson I would encourage my students to pick a poem, or one of Edgar Allan Poe's work and tie it to one of Vincent van Gogh paintings. They will then present that painting, read the poem aloud (or section of the short story they think alines with the painting) and then express why they chose this text to go with this painting. For an example I will do one myself.

Wheat field with Crows (1890)


Alone (published 1875)
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were -- I have not seen
As others saw -- I could not bring
My passions from a common spring --
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow -- I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone --
And all I lov'd -- I lov'd alone --
Then -- in my childhood -- in the dawn
Of a most stormy life -- was drawn
From ev'ry depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still --
From the torrent, or the fountain --
From the red cliff of the mountain --
From the sun that 'round me roll'd
In its autumn tint of gold --
From the lightning in the sky
As it pass'd me flying by --
From the thunder, and the storm --
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view --


As I have said before I think that Edgar Allan Poe and Vincent Van Gogh share a soul so to speak. It is argued that the Wheatfield with Crows is one of Vincent's last paintings and Alone is considered one of Edgar's most revealing works. Not only are both the painting and poem beautiful but capture that overwhelming feeling of loneliness with the same burning desire to love and be loved. I think Vincent's bright colors capture the desire, along with Edgar's bright imagery when he refers to nature. I think if I were to take lines to compare one with the other, "autumn tint of gold" would be the wheat fields, "And the cloud that took the form" would be deep shadows in the sky. In both the poem and the painting there is a warmth and a darkness infringing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Education of Margot Sanchez Book Review

The Education of Margot Sanchez - By Lilliam Rivera We read the first chapter of this book in class and my first thoughts were... I would not read this book out loud in class. That being said, I would still like to use this book and I think it has a lot of great themes young adults and teens could relate to, especially in the modern world dealing with status and ways to fit in. I remember feeling that if I wasn't on the top of my game all the time I would be excluded as a kid, and being excluded felt like a death sentence. There is a song from the musical Heathers (based off the pop-culture classic movie Heathers) where one of the Heathers sings about suicide and relates high school to a life boat. It is a beautiful analogy and I think I would consider playing that song in class if I were to do a unit on this book. I think the book is interesting because it is easy to relate to even for those who don't have to deal with the factor of race. For example, we all have parts of ou